Tuesday, March 12, 2013

phDesign: DIY wall art



Art is expensive. So is wallpaper. These are two elements of a home that truly add character and personality so skipping them all together is not an option. My husband and I do not currently own any pieces of original art. We have plenty of sentimental photos and memorabilia in frames but we haven't found any artwork that we love enough to invest in, so our walls are rather bare. 

Recently we decided that we each needed our own office space. Since I work predominately from home and my husband does not, I got to take over the main den area and he has a spot in our second floor loft. He took my antique walnut desk and I got to choose a few new pieces for my room. I will give you an office tour in a later post (once I've got the place camera ready). I wanted to begin by adding femininity and color to my work space so I tracked down the rep for this fabulous Cole and Sons wallpaper, ordered a very inexpensive sample of the paper (under $20) and turned it into art! It's such an easy way to add pattern, color and a unique touch to a space on a budget. 


{this is how the sample arrived}


{I chose two scenes that I liked best and cut them to fit the frames}


{and hung them just over eye level above my sofa} 

You might remember these custom pillows from this post a while back. I am using them to spruce up a sofa that my husband purchased prior to our engagement and then added my DIY table from this post. We have so many other main rooms to invest in right now that I needed to find a way to create a nice, comfy space that I can enjoy working out of daily without breaking the budget.

Photobucket

No comments: