Tuesday, March 5, 2013

phDesign: DIY side table




Today I am going to share a quick DIY project that I did a few months ago. When my husband and I first moved in together we were a design mess. On top of the fact that we were going from small condos to a house we also had completely different styles. In an effort to meld our tastes together and save some money I decided to take on a few projects. 

Hailing from a set of three (2 sides, one cocktail) this lovely brown metallic table came fully equipped with plastic feet and large exposed rubber stoppers to hold it's glass top in place. If I'm being honest my first reaction was to donate it but then, once I made a few slight adjustments (stoppers and feet found a new home in the garbage), I realized it had a great shape. All it needed were a few slight modifications: this finish, these pretty knobs and some super glue. 



{make sure you clean the entire piece and sand any uneven areas first}


{spray paint is relatively inexpensive so splurge a little on hardware to give your piece a high-end look}


{it's a messy job. prep and cover your workspace thoroughly, wear gloves and make sure you can reach the piece from all angles without moving or touching it} 


{let the piece sit at least 48 hours before you touch or move it just to be sure the finish and glue are set}


From bachelor-pad boring to lady-office chic! This table now sits in the corner of my den and I absolutely love it. The whole project took two days, a couple of hours and cost less than $75 allowing us to splurge on other more important pieces for our home. Hopefully this post has inspired you to re-imagine something that you already own! 

Photobucket

2 comments:

K Stalls said...

Love the metallic aged look to it! Well done.

Jess said...

Love! I'm impressed :)