Friday, June 29, 2012

product profile: dining table

I've literally lost sleep over choosing a dining room table. For as long as I can remember I've wanted a table by Lorts, a wonderful high-end furniture manufacturer that my family has ties and access to. They specialize in customizable, solid wood pieces and have recently shifted their focus to a more transitional look, which I adore. From the stain to the amount of distressing, they make wonderful pieces tailored specifically to their clients and the farm house table has always been my favorite.


What I thought was going to be an easy decision has since become complicated. You might remember from an earlier post that in order to stay within our budget we purchased these stainless steel beauties for everyday use that we will eventually pair with upholstered host and hostess chairs. Long story short, the Lorts table is simply too sophisticated and clean for the chairs.

Adding to this difficult decision is our undying love of walnut wood (yes, I named my blog appropriately). The rich coffee color and sturdy construction is our favorite but with dark hardwood floors it was clear we needed to add some variation. 

I must give credit where credit is due, I am so thankful to have a mom that happens to be a talented interior designer. She suggested going with a table that was a bit more "fun" and "casual" since this is our first home and I completely agree. Mom, if you're reading this thanks for the suggestion and also for lending your expertise (and vendor access) to this project! The Tradewinds table in river wash is the perfect compromise. It will mesh well with metal, isn't too rustic and will play nicely off of the grey tones in our Carrera Marble island. And it's not walnut.



I started this project thinking I would post my inspiration boards and then blog as they became a reality. I had no idea I would face so many twist, turns, mind changes and obstacles along the way. What I thought would be a modern-meets-traditional space is now taking on a bit of a rustic vibe and I'm excited to see what lies ahead. This deviation has taught me an important lesson: expect the unexpected in design and while a plan is always essential sometimes you have to modify your original vision to make a room work.

*As mentioned, these tables are not available for retail purchase. If you're interested in finding out more please feel free to comment below or email me at copperandwalnut@gmail.com.

No comments: