Wednesday, June 20, 2012

pendant plight

With an open "three-rooms-in-one" floor plan, lighting is key and must be coordinated. While the basic ceiling fixtures at the Design Center were decent, they severely lacked lighting with any character. To spruce up our house and take it from builder-standard to lux we want to invest in some unique, artistic chandeliers. Our dining room is at the center of the open floor plan so it was a no-brainer that we would invest in our own piece here. The kitchen is another story. The location of food preparation and midnight snacking needs good, yet simple illumination so to coordinate with our recessed can lights I wanted to include pendants over the island. In order to have the builder wire for these lights I had to purchase the fixtures through the Design Center (lame) and not only were they expensive but they also lacked any kind of style or sophistication. Refusing to pay for something only to turn around and replace it, I passed all together.

Just as I thought my pendant dreams were over, I mentioned my frustration to our contractor as soon as they began wiring and plumbing. Given that I keep a watchful yet respectful eye on the progress of our home I think I've built a decent rapport with the crew and out of the goodness and their hearts they threw in some wiring for pendants, gratis. It definitely pays (literally) to establish a good relationship with your contractor and obtain a basic understanding of the building process.

... or perhaps he is simply afraid of me, either way we got those lights!

True to character, I immediately began shopping for the perfect pendant. I wanted one that was clean, chrome and wouldn't steal the spotlight from our dining room chandelier.

1. In My Dreams


2. Too Dark
Allen+Roth


3. Too Simple
Home Decorators Collection


4. Too Industrial
Home Decorators Collection
via


5. Too Big
Progress Lighting

6. The Perfect Pendant
Circa Pendant

We were finally able to find the perfect pendant through an interior designer. The price is competitive with many fixtures we saw at home depot and lowes yet the quality is significantly better. They are a touch industrial without being overbearing and will be a wonderful high-end addition to the kitchen. Never be afraid to consult the experts if you can't find exactly what you are looking for.


No comments: