Tuesday, June 26, 2012

color me bad

Let me clear one thing up: I don't actually hate color. In fact, I wear colorful clothing all of time. My husband often jokes that I am allergic to bold hues mostly because we are still putting together the first layers of our home. To me, choosing neutrals for the foundation is smart in our circumstance because we can always bring a space to life by layering colorful accessories. It's much easier to swap an end table or change a drape than it is to re-upholster a sofa or replace kitchen cabinetry. This way, we also allow ourselves the financial flexibility to ebb and flow with trends.

I the spirit of color (and an attempt to restore my husband's confidence in me) I've compiled some fun items that I plan to include in our home - or at least use as inspiration.


I am loving the combo of grey and bold colors, such a fun summer table setting. The above are sold out, but etsy always had fun and unique fabric napkin options.



To me, tortoise is a new-age classic. Found these glasses for a steal on One Kings Lane a few weeks ago. If you aren't already a member, just comment below and I would be happy to send you an invitation! By far my favorite daily discount site for home goods.



While I can't afford this beautiful Cozamia painting, I love the use of subdued hues. More lovely prints can be found here.



Lamps are the perfect way to make a bold statement. I am currently obsessed with this Regina Andrews lamp found here for our family room. It's sophisticated yet casual enough for Texas.



Fresh flowers are the perfect way to add class, color and a wonderful light fragrance to your home. Flowers can be expensive so one way we plan to save money is by including some of our favorite varietals in our own garden, such as hydrangea and lavender. Due to the dry Texas heat my ranunculus and peonies will have to be reserved for special occasion purchases.



We will always have this debate in my house: are throw blankets appropriate for nap time?
Husband says: yes
I say: no
While they can be used casually during family movie night, a nice throw adds color and life to a room much like art.  Cashmere is my favorite in juicy colors like vermilion and cerulean seen here.

I'll hide a cotton blanket in a cute basket for any sofa slumber that occurs.



Family photos. It doesn't feel like home until you surround yourself with loved ones.



From cookbooks to novels my husband and I really enjoy reading. Luckily, books are beautiful and when displayed correctly can double as art.



A dear family friend gave us some Le Creuset pieces in cobalt for our wedding and we are smitten...not to mention they add a great pop of color in our kitchen and my husband thinks I am miraculously a better cook.


Color is essential in making a home feel warm and inviting. I would never suggest a design based solely on what was "in" but I do like to mix and match traditional decor with small elements that are fresh, modern or on-trend. The best advice I can give when it comes to figuring out what trends or colors to follow is stick to whatever feels comfortable for you and your family. Don't lay down a grey chevron rug just because you saw it in a magazine, your home should be a collection of things you love and a reflection of who you are not who the mass retail chains tell you to be.


3 comments:

Jenni said...

We have Le Creuset in Cobalt too. We LOVE it! Especially our salt crock.

Copper + Walnut said...

So fun that we match!

K Stalls said...

I don't think there is a thing on this list that I don't absolutely love. Come decorate my apt any time!