Tuesday, April 2, 2013

phDesign: rugs


Not all rugs on the internet are created equal. I can't tell you how many rugs I've ordered only to retrieve them from my doorstep and realize how thin and lifeless they are. It's incredibly difficult to accurately portray the quality of a rug's weave in a single photograph. There are countless way to make a rug and I won't go through them all but knowing a few basic terms that I see often on retail sites is a good place to start. It's by no means a foolproof system and there are always exceptions to the rule, but I hope I can save you a few frustrating returns in the future.

  • Pile Weave : a rug woven by a creation of knots, every single knot is tied by hand, typically a medium pile {pile = thickness} 
  • Flat Weave: no knots are used in this process, rugs consists of weft strands woven together to form a pattern resulting in typically a very thin pile
  • Hand Tufted: no knots, made by punching strands of wool into a frame stretched canvas, requires a high level of craftsmanship, weathers foot traffic for years and in generally a generous, thick pile 
  • Knotted: can be either asymmetrical or symmetrical, is hand woven by tying knots on wool strands, the more dense the knots are the more expensive the rug, typically a medium to thin pile 

As I mentioned in our little black book post, here at Copper + Walnut we are working hard to pre-screen all of our merchandise to provide superior quality and design. Here is a {sneak peek} of our hand tufted rugs. I can personally vouch for their thickness and construction and am currently loving these two geometric designs:






Photobucket

No comments: