Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Elle Decor Trends: Beyond Emerald in 2013

With each new year comes new design trend predictions. If you read any interior design blogs you already know that Emerald Green was chosen as the Pantone color of the year. We will be seeing shades of green in everything from finishes to fabrics this coming Market and I have to say I'm delighted such a versatile, natural color was chosen. 

One of my favorite interior design magazines and websites, Elle Decor, went beyond color and predicted the five major design trends for this coming year. Broken down into basic categories I will show you how I'm practically applying the trends of 2013 in my own home.  

1. Brass

From gilded gold to true brass I am fully embracing this trend. One metal does not, however, hold the key to my heart. While brass might remind you of bad early 90's decor at times {yikes} using multiple shades and mixing it with other metals {as seen here} will keep it modern and fresh. 

Our newest addition in this category is a family room cocktail table from Global Views. It's a substantial, heavy piece but the eglomise {gilded glass} top and brass finish keep it feminine and demure. 






2. Green

I know, I know, Pantone has declared Emerald the supreme shade of Green this year but for my own home application I am going to stick with Celadon. Green is actually my favorite color and a shade closer to emerald is one I often choose to wear but when it comes to large upholstered items for my home I tire of things too big or bold. I am opting for a more subdued tone of green for our family room and will layer textures and colors to create personality and life. 

Lesson learned: Never be afraid to modify a trend to make it work for you. Just because something is popular doesn't mean it is the right fit for you and your home. Use trends to guide you but don't be afraid to tweak them so that they reflect you and your individual style. 


{celedon, emerald}
{family room chairs}
{lumbar pillow on the leather chesterfield sofa}



3. Embellished Walls

I have not made it a secret that I love wallpaper. Sadly, our walls are textured here in Texas but that won't stop me from putting pattern on my walls {stay tuned for a future post on that} or from daydreaming. Here are a few of my favorites from Cole & Sons and Farrow & Ball; I tried to include something for everyone: 

{I professed my undying love for this pretty, feminine paper here
{this reminds me of my study abroad trip to Florence, perfect for a study} 
 via


{it's technically ocelot, but I am loving this animal print}



{trend combo! I could see this in a fabulous powder room}


{left: preppy and classic goes anywhere. right: love this for a bedroom} 


{a perfect lead in to our next trend...lace} 

4. Lace

I won't claim to love lace. Perhaps my former tomboy self feels it's just too girly or maybe it's because I now share a space with my husband and I don't want our home to feel too feminine. Whatever the reason, I am not naturally drawn to it. There is, however, one exception: our master bedroom bedding. I'm strangely obsessed with the delicate romance of Bella Notte




 {our bolster pillow is top left and the throw that I lust after is top right, sigh}
 via


5. Shades of White

Cream, off-white, bone, beige, sand. Unlike lace, this trend might have been created specifically for me. As someone who tires of big, bold patterns and colors I avoid creating a stark, lifeless space by layering these neutrals with various patterns and textures.  






So, tell me. What are your favorite trends for 2013 and how are you incorporating them into your space?  

Photobucket



No comments: