Thursday, August 30, 2012

designers block


We've survived the move, unpacked most of our belongings and even lived through construction. You'd think (or at least I thought) this would be the shining moment for any design fanatic. Our space is light, bright and ready for personality...except I stand here, in front of a blank and beautiful canvas, frozen.

I'm afraid to paint the wrong color, choose the wrong fabric or spending money on something that I might regret in a year. I've got a classic case of designers block. What's a gal to do? Between Houzz, Pinterest, blogs and flash sales at One Kings Lane I do not lack inspiration so I began compiling and pinning images that caught my eye. Instead of worrying about color, coordination or what rooms these pieces would go in I just let my gut instinct lead me.  I have completely rejuvinated my design spirit!  

Below are a few of my favorite finds that accurately represent our personality and will add character and color to our home.

I am learning to accept my new status as a Texan. While I refuse to kill, stuff and hang dead animals on my wall (it's seriously creepy, especially when you leave the eyeballs in) I love the idea of using throw pillows as a  tongue-in-cheek nod to my new hometown.


You might remember this fabric from an earlier post. I still love it and think it's the perfect feminine balance for those ultra masculine antlers.

both fabrics via

Love the colors and modern flare of this C Wonder dish. Elephants are also my favorite animal...behind French Bulldogs of course.  

I am dying to wallpaper a room. The powder room to be exact. Sadly this is impossible due to our textured walls (and the price of this paper, yikes) however I refuse to let that stop me. I will find a way to use this Cole & Son pattern, it's just too fabulous to pass up:  


 As I mentioned in an earlier post, my Dad is the handyman of all handymen. He flew into town for a long weekend and POOF we had a new, hand crafted fireplace surround. I'm saving the unveiling for a later post (as I might be a little behind on applying that final coat of paint) but regardless it's gorgeous. The only thing missing is this lovely mirror hanging above it:


via

I admit it, I like animal print. Not in the silk leopard bedsheets kind of way, but in the zebra back-entry accent rug kind of way: 

Mine came from One Kings Lane and is no longer available.
similar via

What do you have in your home that is "totally you?" How do you let your personality shine through in your living space? I'm dying to know...

No comments: