Friday, December 21, 2012

let us bring him silver + gold

Yes, I made a cheesy Christmas song reference in the title of this post but I just couldn't help myself! I love the holidays and coincidentally my current design conundrum involves the delicate art of mixing metals. I remember over a decade ago thinking I would never like gold, it was for "old people." Either times have changed or I have become one of those old people (no comments from the peanut gallery please) because I love all shades of gold. In fact, I have been wearing dual-tone jewelry for years now.

David Yurman earrings; I almost never leave home without them

I'm a little stuck when it comes to the correct way to mix metals within my own home. As you've seen in previous posts (here, here and here) a lot of our fixtures and appliances are chrome. While I wouldn't change a single decision that we've made thus far I want to warm up our open floorplan by adding some gold tones. Instead of simply choosing accessories in one color or the other the trick to a smooth combination is finding key pieces (like those earrings) that are both silver and gold. They introduce the relationship and will then provide continuity as you layer solid items in the room. Here are a few of my favorites:






via

Do you think I should stick to one metalic tone or go for the combination? If you like the combo, how do you go about mixing metals in your living space?

No comments: