Wednesday, July 25, 2012

the big, black compromise

Q: What is smart, 3D and currently taking up 60 precious inches of our family room wall?

A: The giant plasma television that my husband recently purchased.



There is nothing more difficult in design than making an enormous, black, plastic panel look chic. This house is all about compromise and we have limited space, so rather than spending all of our savings on a built-in unit with doors or demanding we add a media room off the back of the house I am going to compromise by finding a fabulous piece to hide all of the media components. That's where I need your help.

Has anyone google-searched "tv stands" recently? I've never seen so much plastic and cheap looking "wood" in my life. Those were fine and dandy back in Oxford, Ohio (college) but I'm a grown up now and would like my house to reflect that upward trend. I'd like to find a unique piece that will still function as a media console but has some style and character. Glass case buffets and sideboards seem to be the ticket but I wanted to ask you for your advice first:

Has anyone come across a unique piece of furniture that could double as a media cabinet? Or has anyone seen any fab media cabinets out there?

Afterall, what is better than movie night? Popcorn, snuggly blankets, glass of wine, husband. It can't be beat.

2 comments:

Barring said...

Arhaus has some good console/chest/cabinet options.

http://www.arhaus.com/furniture/living-room-furniture/consoles-and-media-consoles/

Copper + Walnut said...

Thanks! I will check them out!!