Wednesday, May 9, 2012

beauty in design



Finally! The fun stuff. I couldn't be more excited to share our interior design plans, this has been my favorite part of the process so far.

As I'm sure my husband can agree, I tend to be rather opinionated and dare I say stubborn at times so to have a pre-determined, finite list of interior choices was nothing short of a challenge for me. I can best liken my overall design experience to putting together the most intricate jigsaw puzzle, blindfolded. The three most difficult factors have been (in no particular order):
1. The fact that I never got to physically walk through a model of our home. Our floor plan was never made into one and I'm a visual learner.
2. Balancing the things we do through the design center vs. a third party after we close and making sure we those elements coordinate and are in line with our overall vision.
3. Keeping this baby on budget.

Since the moment we decided to build I have been tearing out, pinning, earmarking, saving and drooling over photographs of inspirational interiors. From these pictures I have created virtual inspiration boards for each room in our new home. This has enabled my husband to be a part of  the design process from abroad, brought clarity to our sense of style and has helped us create rooms that are not only beautiful on their own but are cohesive with one another. We won't be able to afford all of the furnishings that we want right away but it gives us goals to work toward in the coming years.

If I could give any advice at this stage of the process it's to be organized and prepared. Most design centers set hours aside for public browsing and taking advantage of those leading up to my appointment made all of the difference. I was already well versed in my options by the time I had to make final decisions and I was confident those choices would tell the design story that I (we) envisioned for our home.

No comments: