Monday, September 24, 2012

j.crew home


To me there is an inherent link between fashion and design. I'm not saying that everyone designs the way they dress but just like fashion, interior decorating is all about personal expression. I am often inspired by looks I see in fashion blogs, magazines and even on the racks of my favorite stores.

For instance, if J.Crew had a home store my house would be finished and I'd be broke. It's the go-to label of my generation and for good reason: they have mastered mixing fresh colors and patterns, use fabulous and diverse material and effortlessly blend classics with trends. This is exactly what I want my house to be. J.Crew, if you're reading this, please open a home store and hire me to buy for you. Ok, thanks.

You might recall that my initial living room inspiration board was full of neutrals. Well, I'm over it. In a moment of fashion- inspiring-interior design I put together a collection that is my interpretation of what a J.Crew living room might look like.



2. Animal Print Throw Pillow with Red Orange trim, Century Furniture*

3. Santiago End Table, Arteriors*

4. Chesterfield Leather Sofa, Century Furniture*

5. Italian Gilt Side Table, Jonathan Charles* 

6. Horn Tray, Regina Andrew*

7. Kingston Driftwood Cocktail Table, Arteriors*

8 & 9. Paisley Throw Pillow with Green Leaf trim, Century Furniture*
Red Orange Quilted Throw Pillow, Kravet*

10. Liz Goldleaf Mirror, Worlds Away*

*available to the trade only. If you are interested in any of these products please comment below or  email me at copperandwalnut@gmail.com

The patterns, textures and colors are what really make this look scream J.Crew 
To create a perfectly mixed and matched collection I had to step away from the mainstream retail shelves. J.Crew finds their patterns and fabrics overseas in obscure textile mills and markets; I simply did the interior design equivalent of that. 

Use trim on pillows to pull multiple patterns together
It's incredibly difficult to find the exact group of colors in one pattern. Trim allows you to add a color that unites the overall look. For instance, the animal print (above) doesn't have anything in common with the other fabrics at baseline. Add some red orange trim and all of the sudden it becomes part of the collection; it makes sense. 

Don't be afraid to seek out a partnership with an interior designer, even if you are on a budget 
I didn't begin this living room board with the intention of using product that is only available to the design trade, it just happened that way. In order to capture the one-of-a-kind style that J.Crew does so effortlessly it's important to partner with the professionals; they have the key that unlocks an entire world of furniture and decor that mainstream markets don't have access to. 

...I have a feeling the items on this inspiration board just might find their way into my living room.

1 comment:

Lauren H. said...

You have captured the essence of Jcrew's "home store" perfectly!! I would shop there in a heart beat!

We have a piece from Ballard Design and love it! I love looking through their catalog when it comes each month!