Wednesday, September 19, 2012

first impression


“If there isn't a place to put your coat, the house does not feel real.”
Steven Gambrel, Interior Designer


If there hadn't been a name after that quote I would assume it came out of my husband's mouth.  We always fight the battle between beautiful and practical. I firmly believe a space can be both and that is my goal for our entry way. It's the first thing people see when they walk into your home so I would like ours to be both impressive and inviting. Since it's important in any marriage to compromise I am going to put two entry way looks together and we will attempt to end up with something somewhere in between.


His
*It's important to note that my husband did not actually sit down, scroll through thumbnails of furniture and put this collection together. Had this happened I would not be writing this post, I would be waiting for the world to end. I took the liberty of asserting what I think he might pick.




via (interior designer)


via (interior designer)









Hers  
This collection reeks of estrogen and I'm ok with that.
 






The Compromise


I have literally had this post sitting in my "draft" section for weeks now. I can't make up my mind. In an attempt to help, my husband asked me to prioritize my design purchases in order from "can't live without" to "could wait until next year." I was surprised to see our entryway towards the bottom of that list. 

I learned a good lesson here. Anyone who is passionate about design knows the thrill of a complete room. I am dying to throw our first party in a space that I deem fabulous and finished but we simply can't afford to do that so I must find that thing called patience I've been hearing so much about. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Jenni said...

I hear you! There are SO many things that I want to change about our house, but we just don't have the time or money right now. So instead, I just keep inviting people over and showing them the newest update and telling them the next plans. It's actually kind of fun that way too so throw as many parties as you want :-)

Copper + Walnut said...

Jenni, you're so right. I think the majority of people our age have things we want to change or update in our homes. I promise I will still throw parties and entertain even if it's not all complete :)