Tuesday, April 3, 2012

the foundation

I bet you thought this post was going to be about the foundation of our house...well, it is! Just not the same foundation you're thinking of. I'm talking about the pieces of furniture that we have invested in and have become the design "foundation" of our home. Most of these pieces started off with me years ago in my first apartment and have since endured multiple cross-country moves. So you can begin to get an idea of our style, here are the few pieces we have collected thus far.

Sofa (Century)

Desk (Century)

Upholstered Desk Chair (Century)
*the fabric is a charcoal/off-white stripe
Chest of Drawers (Drexel Heritage)
*the finish is dark brown, not black
Side table (Hickory Chair)
*the base of the table is antique blue

I apologize for the poor photo quality. When my husband and our digital camera come home in June I promise better photographs. Until then, these will give you an idea of our starting point. I am so passionate about investing in high quality pieces that can stand the test of time. Some of these have seen two or three hardware swaps and my desk went from blonde to chocolate brown a few years back. They are all classic, neutral pieces that can be tweaked or modified just enough to fit the style of the accessories around them. Not only are they beautiful but their high end craftsmanship has saved us from needing to replace them year after year.

I try to conclude with general rules or lessons that can be taken away from my experience. Given my passion for furniture, I want to end this post with my own personal philosophy:

True style is about fusion. It's about knowing when to invest and when to be impulsive. Create a sturdy, classic foundation and then allow yourself the guilty pleasure of current trends.

No comments: